Tuesday 23 June 2015

A Milestone, "Heart It" Finish and a WIP

 The milestone?  My youngest gaining her double figured birthday and turning 10!

Party cake was a replica (well, almost, my family pointed out all the errors like missing a crucial gap / obstacle) of the floating obstacle course that she and her friends had traversed for the first part of the party.

It seemed to go down well, and, of course, we have another set of Playmobil swimmers to add to our large stash of playthings!

 Then there was the actual birthday cake(s).  One lemon, one chocolate.

The birthday went well, with friends, family and fun all day long.


 Of course, Daddy had to play that he thought that she was '01' not '10' - a joke that she enjoyed, naturally!
My finish is one that I'm proud of.  I'm pleased to say that I've finished my version of 'Heart It' by Esther Aliu (pattern here if you feel inspired to make your own).

I'm delighted with how it looks!  60" square is as big as I want to deal with when I'm quilting something though!

 The binding is complete now, and I've even stitched a hanging sleeve on the back so that I can display it at our quilt group show later this year.

Its been such a lovely project and a good way to use some of my blue scraps!
 Taking a shot across the quilt shows you a little bit about how the grey 'bowties' are raised above the quilted surface. 

You might just be able to make out the different scale of the quilting in the scallops and hearts border - much smaller and tighter.  It makes the applique shapes stand out a little, which is what I want.

One project finished, another in progress!

This is my 'round robin' quilt - laid out, basted and ready for me to start quilting.  The ruler, plates and bowls were all to help me make some marks to guide my quilting.  I'm planning to start with a some walking foot squares and than add in some free motion quilting.

This plan might have to go on hold for the moment, though, as I've just discovered that I'm almost out of the white thread that I'm planning to use.  Perhaps I'll start and see how far I get!

Hope that you are having a good week with your chosen craft too!

9 comments:

  1. Wow! wonderful cakes. Love the idea of the "10" cake. and Double WOW! on the quilt, it is stunning
    Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your version of Heart It is beautiful. I really like the colors, it is so feminine. The table runner is pretty too. I was stuck in 'jewel' tones for so long, now I'm liking brighter colors and prettier colors too.
    Children really grow up fast. Give her a hug and kiss from me. My baby girl is 27 and lives a 1000 miles from me. I miss her so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Plum, how quickly they grow up, before you know it she will be off to Uni and you will be asking your self how did those years go so quickly. Love your Heart it, those colours you choose just glow, especially the creams and greys you have used, I have loved watching this grow and now to see it finished is wonderful. Hugs glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on this wonderful finished quilt and happy late birthday to your sweetheart.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW what a week you've had! 10 is a gorgeous age, enjoy it! I love your cakes, its so nice to see someone still making cakes at home for a change :)

    I think your Heart Is is just fabulous Plum, its really come into its own. Love the colours too, have a beautiful week, I'm off drafting the next BOM..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday Fxxx. The heart quilt is fab, well done! I like the arrangement of the round robin! Looking forward to seeing that finished xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous finish Plum. Look forward to seeing it. and please, please, please can I commission a cake?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to your daughter. Yummy looking cakes. I hadn't heard of that quilt by Esther - your version is beautiful. Congrats on your finish. Look forward to seeing the other progress, too. It looks so modern. I invite you to link to WIPs Be Gone to show off your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww - happy birthday :) I really love the 3D bits on Heart It - so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.