Tuesday 21 January 2014

Around the World

 Not a patchwork 'trip around the world', but looking at different types of quilting from around the world.

This is my start (well, more like half way through) at my sample for Banjara quilting.
Lots of herringbone, cross and running stitches.

Still six more squares to go, then an edging that includes cowrie shells...... so plenty more hand stitching to go!


 This is my Sashiko sampler - using different patterns, two sections with variegated thread (which doesn't show up quite so well!) and two sections in black.

I found it quite hard to get the junctions  right where the lines of stitching met.  Fun to try!
This is going to be my machine sewing project, though.  I'm pleased to say that I've finished Module 10 on my C&G course, and now I need to make the quilt that I designed.

Fifty blocks, all using lovely purple fabrics in various tones.  I managed to pull a total of 49 different fabrics from my stash (actually, I'm slightly economical with the truth there, I bought four of them last week hoping to include them).  Of those, these 27 fabrics have made it through to the final audition.  A couple are still 'on probation'.  I can't decide whether or not I want flashes of green to appear in my 'darks' or not.  I may have to make a few blocks up and see how they all play together!

The only machine sewing I managed this week was making a couple of bags using Benta's fab tutorial.  Very quick, very cute, and ideal for a birthday present for a friend.

Hope that you are having a good crafting week!

2 comments:

  1. The around the world block has come on loads since I saw it, looking great, as is the sashiko and the yummy stack of purple! So glad you found the bag instructions useful, you realised your sewing kit came in a smaller version?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 49 different purples in your stash is really impressive! Although I could probably do the same with blue! Have fun choosing for your quilt :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.