Wednesday 13 November 2013

Hearts and a harvest

 Not really my work, but I had a hand in supervising the creation of these - and a couple more that went home with friends of the DD's.  I'd almost forgotten how delighted small people can be with the chance to use a sewing machine, as my DD's are always aware that they can use it so it has ceased to be a novelty!

In fairness, they all enjoyed the hand sewing too.
This was my real happiness yesterday, though - my first ever saffron!  Having planted the bulbs less than a month ago I was hoping for a harvest this autumn, but I not banking on it.   The girls are intrigued by being able to grow something so easily that is worth its weight in gold (indeed, I'm fighting hard not to have the whole garden turned to a mini saffron farm).  I'm wondering if I should add flashes of gold or orange to the purple and grey blocks that I'm making in celebration of our first harvest!
Happy stitching!
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Oh Plum the joy of harvesting some is worth it's weight in gold even if it is not saffron. We grow our own vanilla beans and the taste so much nicer when freshly dried. Not sure if we could grown saffron here as it is may be to wet. It is Such a beautiful yellow.colour . Thanks for sharing your harvest!!!! Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hearts, and I bet the kids loved the sewing! I'm amazed at the saffron, gold fingers rather then green ones eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew you could just grow saffron, I thought as it's so pricey it would be a serious art form to cultivate it - you make it look so easy!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you could grow saffron either,wheres my trowel....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know you could grow it either, wheres my trowel....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.